This year was a fun year for us to celebrate the 4th. We invited my family down to celebrate with us. They met us in Evanston the night of the 4th for the fireworks. To anyone who's never been, it's quite the experience. It's like the war all over again but with fireworks blasting everywhere. I think it is harder to explain than if you experienced it for yourself. Izaak, Elias, and Stetzen all had a blast firing off sparklers and other little fireworks too. It was a little hectic trying to keep track of them. Needless to say, by the time all the fireworks were done, the familia was speechless. Way to go Wyo!
When we got there, Zach made a comment that we should have waited longer because they just started to catch fish and didn't really want to stop. But we headed out anyways to go tubing. When we got to a good spot, we filled up the tube with air and tried to get someone to go out there. Katelyn wouldn't go, I couldn't go, and none of the kids wanted to go. So, Zach went out there with Stetz. Two seconds into the ride and the tube was taking on water. We reeled them in and the tubing fun was done. I thought we should just go to the shore to eat subs that we made and the kids could play off the shoreline. When we opened the sandwiches, the bread was all soggy because I had a prego brain failure and put ice the cooler when we only wrapped the sandwiches with tin foil. The day turned out to be pretty much a bust! Zach decided to go get the truck and bring it over to the dock so we could head home. I don't know why, but he thought it would be easier to walk to the car the girls rode in and the drive over to get the truck instead of just bringing the boat to the car. I think it took him two hours to come back. On the way, Kate got stuck in some mud and broke her sandals. She had no shoes to wear for half the walk. When he finally got back, we loaded up the boat and headed for the dock. Once we were there, it took another hour to load the thing onto the trailer. It was a nightmarish kind of day, lol.
The next day, I had planned to go float the canal on the mountain, but everyone was so exhausted from the day before that we just bummed around. That evening, though, I wanted to take them all fishing at Long's Park. It's pretty much my favorite spot to go because someone always catches something. When we got up there, it started to rain and never let up. No one caught anything! Later we had cooked tin foil dinners in the fire and rushed home to get warm and clean up. It seems like any time my family comes down the weather is bad and it's muddy. No wonder they don't come down very often!
To top the weekend off, as I was getting ready for church the next morning, the power cut out just as I was going to do my hair. I was a very nice host and let everyone else shower and get ready before me. I showered the night before so all I needed to do was get my hair done. Well, let's just say it was a pioneer hair day because I couldn't use anything to get ready. We called the power company and no one else's power was out, just mine. Weird tidbit, though, the power wasn't totally out, but just pitiful enough only to run my lights. When I got home from church, the power company had come out and fixed the problem, but I couldn't have planned so many FAILS to happen in one weekend. Hopefully they all had fun. Despite all the hoopla I managed to have some fun. Here's to another memorable 4th of July!

No comments:
Post a Comment