December 20, 2010

Kids Say the Darndest Things

As you know, or if you don't, last year I was called as a Primary teacher for the 8-11 year olds in my ward.  In a nutshell you could say they are a rambunctious bunch who love rodeo, are obsessed with roping, and love horses.  Nearly every week there is a comment that floors me or that is probably inappropriate for church but hilarious.  To make matters even more interesting, the one who accounts for 95% of the comments is the bishop's son.  I will share a couple comments made over the last month.

Christmas Lesson:
For our Christmas lesson, one of the older girls in my class wanted to teach so I showed her what to do and she did really well.  In the middle of her lesson, we were talking about how Mary wasn't married when she became pregnant with Christ.  We discussed how this was looked down upon during that time and how blessed she was that Joseph was willing to stay with her.  In the middle of the discussion, the bishop's son asked very honestly,  well how do girls get pregnant in the first place?  Both the girl teaching and I were taken aback and were speachless.  I had no idea what to say to him other than, "Well, I think that's a question you'll have to ask your mom."  Hilarious.

Crackers and Niggas:
After class a couple of weeks ago, the other boy in my class asked me a simple yet surprising question, "Do you know what a cracka is?"  I said. "Sure, isn't it a white guy?"  He abrubtly corrected me and stated that it was in fact a man of color. 

Right after that the bishop's son proudly stated that his older brother calls him a nigga.  I asked if he did all his brother's dirty work for him to be called such a thing.  He simply stated that wasn't the case and that he just likes to call him a nigga.  This turned out to be a very educational class.

Skinny Dipping:
Again, the bishop's son is the culprit here.  Out of the blue, he confessed that his parents like to go skinny dipping outside, and they do it all the time in the summer.  He then informed me what that meant.  Where does this kid come up with these things?  If the show "Kids Say the Darndest Things" was still on, he'd be a perfect candidate.

1 comment:

  1. This was HILARIOUS. Aren't kids great?! They're not even trying to be funny.

    ReplyDelete